Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Week...err... four?

Weight: 211.2lb

This, obviously, is a big kick in the gonads.  I am extrememely irritated I didn't reach 210, which was my goal for this week.  I feel like eating a big slice of cake just to piss off my scale.

In other news, my weekend was a complete and utter disaster from start to finish.  I had a deadline due Monday morning for Crimson and because I am both excellent at working under pressure AND being a lazy bum until the last minute, I didn't start my work until last Thursday.  This is not normally an issue because I'm pretty quick at what I do, but I didn't expect BOTH our computers to pack in on Saturday morning.  I cannot describe with enough anger and frustration exactly what happened, but just know this:  Windows 7, Microsoft, Office and our internet can all take a scalding hot bath in some freshly laid cow shit.  I finally gave in on Sunday and took my poorly laptop in to Geek Squad, and after threatening to cut off various parts of their anatomies, those chaps fixed my machine that afternoon.  Our iMac is still down (still blaming the idiots at Best Buy who swore blind to us that just inserting a Windows 7 disc on a machine with Snow Leopard would work... oh how WRONG THEY WERE) and we're kind of afraid to turn it on again, because every time we do it reboots and reboots and reboots and reboots and reboots... and either the iMac is going out the window or one of us is...

Poor Mac.  We miss you.

Owen is doing well and still laughing at everything we wave in front of his face.  He's starting to look like a little boy rather than a baby, which is both incredibly exciting and yet leaves me a little bit sad.  I've already forgotten what he sounded like as a premature babba (a kitten, incidentally, but I can no longer bring it to memory), and while I love the way he interacts with us now, I do miss just lying back on our oh-so-American recliner chair and falling asleep with him on my shoulder.  Jey-sus, if I tried to do that now I'd either get an elbow in the eye or a kick in the stomach.

We've changed his feeding schedule (again) and we're trying out a new thing with our food pump.  Now he eats only three times a day, and the rest of his food is pumped continuously in to his tummy overnight.  We scoffed at first and were extremely reluctant to try it, but I'm so glad we overcame our intense dislike of the pump and got it working, because he is an absolute champion at using this method.  He didn't like it at first because ever since we brought him home from the NICU almost a year ago, he's fallen asleep in the living room in either his high chair or our arms while being fed.  Now he has to go to sleep by himself in his cot a whole half-hour before he used to (9.30pm instead of 10pm) and pretty much stay there until 7.30am.  Thankfully he takes after moi, because once we've settled him, he does stay asleep all night and is happy to remain in bed the next morning.  If he were more like Mike he'd be fast asleep at 7pm and wake my sorry arse up at 5am.  We did feel sorry for him when we first changed things around because he was so confused and cried and cried and cried, but four nights in and he's settling down after only five minutes.  Result!  He's sleeping so much better and of course, his food is staying in his tummy.  Our next challenge is to build up the amount he gets overnight and reduce his day time feeds, so that he's only eating enough during the day to satisfy his hunger, and not so much he's puking his guts out.  Watch this space.


No comments:

Post a Comment