Friday, September 10, 2010

Scissor Sisters

I think I forgot to say that I went to a Scissor Sisters' concert last week.  Well, I say 'concert'... it was more of a down-and-dirty 'gig' in a dive bar.  And it was FABULOUS.  I cannot believe I haven't written about it yet.

I'm a big fan of tunes with heavy basslines, clever lyrics, and a beat you can shake yer ass to, and the Scissor Sisters fill those requirements beautifully.  Their first two albums were really disco-ey and funky, and their third has become a more mature sound, with a focus on really filthy lyrics.  They played stuff from all three albums at the gig and because I am, by nature, a woman who insists on knowing ALL the lyrics to ALL the songs she loves, I sang my throat sore to everything they performed. 

It may not be cool to love disco, soul, and funk as much as I do, but I do.  I cannot help it.  I MUST dance and shake my ass as much as possible when I listen to music, and after D sent me Paloma Faith's album I have been cranking up the volume on that too (yeah... I know it came out last year, but I live in Cheeseland, Wisconsin, and we don't get funky shit released that much over here).  I'm not cool.  I know that.  But I'm okay with it, because it means I get to meet fabulous gays and too-cool lesbians at dive bars in Milwaukee that play host to the Scissor Sisters.  I fuckin' LOVE IT.

Driving home from the gig I felt drunk.  Or high.  Something, anyway.  I'd only had a single Malibu and Diet Coke so I knew I wasn't actually drunk, but it was the most beautiful feeling.  My throat was hoarse and my ears didn't stop ringing for three days, but I felt so energised and... well... happy.  I truly felt like I deserved a night out with J & G and my new 400+ friends in tight jeans, and while I was dancing and singing away I honestly forgot where I was and who I was.  I was no longer in Cheeseland or a wife and mother; I was just a silly, happy party beast.  It was a fantastic feeling and it really invigorated me the following weekend.  Don't get me wrong: reading and writing and massages and taking walks are all lovely, relaxing things to do.  But they don't speak to me like a gig like that one did.  I didn't have any responsibilities at all for three whole hours, and I got to feel the way I did when I was younger, boogy-ing my way through university.

Honestly - and I know this sounds crap - I think I had a spiritual moment.  I think the music gods of the sky were patting me on the back and telling me it's okay for me to stop being Tina the Wife and Tina the Mother once in a while, and just be Tina the Magnificent.  It was fucking unbelieveable. 

I want to do it again.

Tina.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think it sounds stupid to say it was like a spiritual moment because it was! It was that reconnection to The Old Tina despite thinking that you'd probably lost her forever. It must have been really amazing to know she's still there and that's it perfectly OK to let her out once in a while. I'm pleased! :) Tina IS Magnificent!

    ReplyDelete